2014 Canadian Trucking News – Proposed Eight-Point Plan to Resolve Work Stoppage
Port permits were taken away by the Port of Vancouver from around 40 different companies which were recognized as taking part in threats, persuading and disturbing access at the port during the last few protests. These protestors were responsible for cutting the lines in truck brakes, and for throwing rocks into the window of a driver’s moving truck.
Last week, truck drivers, together with the United Truckers Association, held a strike to gather attention to the port’s long waiting times. According to some reports, these protesters were later joined by the Vancouver Container Truckers’ Association, and have almost halted operations at the port.
The port told Land Line in a written statement that truck operations in Port Metro Vancouver container terminals are running at around 15 percent of their average operations.
The port has also issued a declaration which summarized the steps which were taken in order to address the proceedings that were made by these protestors to interrupt shipping activity. The port has also received a court injunction after capturing a video of protestors supposedly cutting the truck’s brake lines.
The port statement reads that right now, they are currently receiving reports of extremely upsetting behavior which were made by certain protesting truck drivers. These include threats, intimidation, and bodily harm to those who have the valid right to carry on the business of Lower Mainland ports. The port statement also says that it is very important that they guarantee the security and safety of their ports and the free flow of goods to the advantage of all Canadians. Therefore, while they work on looking for answers to the concerns of these truckers, they need to take the appropriate measures to address safety and access to port facilities.
This port has also suspended 40 trucking companies from holding access permits to their ports which were decided under the Truck Licensing System of the Port of Vancouver.
In order to make up for the missing capacity from the suspended companies and trucks, the port has lifted their moratorium on Full Service Operator Licenses. This moratorium is already in effect around two weeks ago.
The Globe and Mail reports that every week, around $885 million in cargo moves through the port area.
According to the statement, the port will resume working with the government, the police, as well as other truckers whose objective is to go back to the port to resume regular operations as soon as possible.
Port Metro Vancouver has also agreed in principle to an offer that was made by the BC Trucking Association, and the shipping industry. The proposal’s intention is to address the issues that were raised by truckers, who have been doing protests since February 26 2014.
Among the approaches that were suggested was to extend the number of operating hours, change how fees are charged, and conduct audits of trucking companies. This proposal is now being circulated by some trucking company owners throughout the community of trucking owner/operators.
Port Metro Vancouver’s operations involves a lot of enterprises which include cargo terminals, cruise terminals, industries that need access to tidewater, shipyards, tugboats, railways, trucks, shipping agents, freight forwarders, suppliers, builders, as well as administrative agencies.